Spirit Airlines is a low-cost carrier that offers flights to destinations throughout the United States, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. One of the ways the airline is able to offer such low fares is by charging extra fees for services that are typically included in the price of a ticket on other airlines, such as checked baggage and seat selection.
In this guide, we will provide an overview of Spirit Airlines’ baggage fees, including what you need to know about bringing bags on the airline, how much you can expect to pay, and tips for minimizing the cost of your baggage fees.
Each passenger is allowed to bring one personal item on board for free. A personal item is any item that can fit underneath the seat in front of you and can be no larger than 18 x 14 x 8 inches.
If you bring a larger item, or if you would like to bring a second item on board, you will need to pay a fee. The fee for carry-on bags is $35 for bags brought to the gate, $30 for bags checked at the ticket counter, and $26 for bags checked online.
If you need to check a bag, you will need to pay a fee. The fee for checked bags is $30 for the first bag, $40 for the second bag, and $75 for the third bag. The fee is the same whether you pay at the ticket counter or online.
Overweight and Oversized Baggage
If your checked bag is overweight (more than 40 pounds) or oversized (more than 62 inches when you add together the length, width, and height), you will need to pay an additional fee.
The fee for overweight bags is $30 for bags weighing between 41 and 50 pounds, and $45 for bags weighing between 51 and 70 pounds. The fee for oversized bags is $75.
Spirit Airlines charges a fee for seat selection, even for seats that are considered to be standard. The fee for seat selection is $1 to $50, depending on the seat.
Tips for Minimizing Baggage Fees
- Pack light: By bringing only a carry-on bag, you can save money on checked baggage fees.
- Check your bag online: By checking your bag online, you can save $5 on the fee for carry-on bags and $5 on the fee for checked bags.
- Avoid overweight and oversized bags: By making sure your bags are not overweight or oversized, you can avoid paying additional fees.
- Consider a carry-on bag with wheels: This will make it easier to bring your bag on board, and you will not have to pay a fee for it.
- Avoid seat selection fee: Some airlines offer a free seat selection in the check-in process or at the gate, so be sure to check the airline’s policy on this.
- Join the $9 Fare Club: This is a membership club that costs $59.95 per year. Members receive discounts on baggage fees, seat selection, and other services.
Spirit Airlines Carry-On Baggage Fees
Spirit Airlines charges fees for carry-on baggage. These fees vary depending on when and how the carry-on baggage is added to the reservation. Passengers may pay a lower fee if they pay for their carry-on baggage in advance or at check-in, as opposed to paying at the gate. The fee for carry-on baggage is subject to change, and it is recommended that passengers check the airline’s website for the most up-to-date information.
Spirit Airlines is a low-cost carrier and as such, they charge for many services that other airlines include in the cost of a ticket. This includes carry-on baggage. Passengers must pay a fee for each carry-on bag they bring on board, unless they have purchased a “Big Front Seat” or “Spirit Plus” ticket, which includes a free carry-on bag. The fees for carry-on baggage can vary depending on when and how the passenger adds it to their reservation, and it is recommended that passengers check the airline’s website for the most up-to-date information.
What Are Spirit Airlines Carry-On Baggage Fees?
During booking at Spirit.com, you’ll be charged a fee of $43 for a carry-on bag. This fee is per person, so if you’re traveling with a family of four, you’ll be paying $172 in carry-on baggage fees.
If you don’t pay the fee during booking, you’ll be charged a higher fee when you check in online. The fee goes up to $53 per person. And if you wait until you get to the airport to check in, the fee is even higher, at $71 per person.
If you’re bringing a carry-on bag to the gate, you’ll be charged a fee of $76. So, it’s cheaper to pay the fee during booking, rather than waiting until you get to the airport.
Carry-on baggage fees can be expensive, but they’re not the only fees that airlines charge. For example, many airlines charge for seat selection, and some even charge for checked baggage. So, when you’re comparing airfares, be sure to check for all of the fees that may apply to your flight.
Spirit Airlines Overweight Baggage
There are a few things to keep in mind when packing for your Spirit Airlines flight to ensure a smooth check-in process.
First, be sure to check the airline’s baggage restrictions before packing. Weight and size limits vary by airline, and Spirit Airlines is notorious for having some of the most restrictive baggage policies. Their checked bag weights cannot exceed 40 pounds, and bags that are even one pound over the limit will be subject to a hefty fee.
If you’re packing a lot of heavy items, it may be worth it to invest in a luggage scale. This will help you make sure that your bags don’t exceed the weight limit, and will save you from having to pay any unexpected fees at the airport.
Another tip is to pack light. Spirit Airlines charges for almost everything, including carry-on bags, so it’s worth it to save some space and only bring a small bag on board. You can always pack some snacks and drinks in your carry-on to keep yourself from getting hungry during the flight.
How to Save on Spirit Baggage Fees
There are several ways to save on Spirit baggage fees:
- Pack light and only bring a carry-on bag, as this will save you money on checked baggage fees.
- Purchase a “Big Front Seat” or “Big Front Plus” seat, which includes a free carry-on bag.
- Join the $9 Fare Club, which offers discounts on baggage fees.
- Pre-pay for baggage during the booking process, as it is usually cheaper than paying at the airport.
- Travel with only a personal item, as Spirit allows one free personal item for each passenger.
- Consider packing essentials in a smaller bag and checking a bag only for the items that are less essential.
- Compare the baggage fees with other airlines, as some may offer more affordable options.
Please note that Spirit’s baggage policies and fees are subject to change, so it’s always best to check their website for the most up-to-date information.
In conclusion, Spirit Airlines is a great option for those who are looking for low-cost flights. However, it’s important to be aware of the additional fees that may be charged for things like checked baggage, carry-on bags, seat selection, and overweight or oversized bags. By being mindful of these fees and taking steps to minimize them, you can save money on your next Spirit Airlines flight.